Ayolas part 2

|

Located along the Rio de Parana, I will be the most southern volunteer in Paraguay. Ayolas began as a fishing town, but its population exploded when the Entidad Binacional Yacereta dam was built between Paraguay and Argentina on the river. Affecting the fishing livelihood in Ayolas and causing permanent flooding of homes and villages up to 100 km up river from the dam.

I’m not in Paraguay anymore.

The Entidad exploded the population of Ayolas and greatly impacted the design of city. Three of the seven barrios or large neighborhood that make up the city, were constructed by the dam for the housing of its workers, the increase in that populations needs of teachers, store owners and social service workers. Because of the Entidad, Ayolas is one of the only cities in Paraguay where you can find functioning fire hydrants throughout the city, paid firefighters, preserved natural spaces within city limits, a complete asphalt grid of roads, school that is in session when it rains, and a free bus service to pick up students for school and transportation throughout the city. Ayolas is a mix of Paraguayans, Argentinas, and others who have come to the area to work for the dam. Guarani is not widely spoken as in other parts of the country. It is taught as a subject in school, but unlike most other places in Paraguay kids do not speak guarani in the household.

I will be taking over for a current EE volunteer in December after swearing in as a volunteer. However, Mandi will be remaining in the Ayolas until April completing her thesis work for her master’s program back at the University of Denver. She has left me with some continuing projects with two school gardens, a jovenes environmental club, and some well connected contacts at the dam and with the representative for the Secretary of the Environment in Ayolas.

My contact that met me in Guarambare to travel back to Ayolas is a current teacher at the largest school in Ayolas with 1700 students from Kindergarten to 9th grade. I stayed with her and her three kids for the five days that I was visiting and trying to get a grasp on Ayolas. However, as of right now I currently have no permanent place to stay when I return on the 15th of December. None of my contacts have any space for me with family members coming home for the holidays or they are traveling out of town. So far my rubia influence has not worked in Ayolas. I think I need to walk around more with my hair down and batting my blue eyes and maybe then I will find a family to spend the holiday with.

Ayolas is going to take some time to get used to. It is very different from every site that I have visited including my training community. However, I am excited to spend the rest of my two weeks of training with my new friends and host family before I head down south.

0 comments:

Post a Comment